CITGO / Citizens Energy Oil Heat Program


We are sad to announce that CITGO/Citizens Energry Oil Heat Program is no longer being run.

Over the past ten winters, UHAB has partnered with the CITGO/Citizens Energy Oil Heat Program to provide heating grants to over 200 HDFC buildings just like yours.

The Citizens Energy / CITGO Oil Heat Program offered heating grants of 50 gallons of heating oil per apartment to income eligible HDFCs in exchange for the commitment that each building took what would have been spent in oil costs and gave a portion (67.5%) back to the residentsin the form of credits, while reinvesting the other portion (32.5%) back into the building through the completion of energy efficent upgrades.

For questions, please contact Marie at 212-479-3374 or by email at

What did the program offer?

The Oil Heat Program paid for up to 50 gallons of heating oil per unit, delivered to qualified buildings during the program's heating season.

Who was eligible?

Qualification is based on the building’s average income. 80-100% of all residents, regardless of income, must complete the Income and Family Profile Surveys.              

Can I receive my deliveries from my usual fuel dealer?

Citizens Energy will try to work with any fuel dealer you request. If your fuel dealer chooses not to participate or if you do not have a preferred dealer, one will be selected for you.

Program Summary:

  • HDFC submits application including income survey forms for all building residents to UHAB. Collecting income surveys can be the hardest part of the applicaiton process.
  • HDFC receives approval notice via mail and follows enclosed instructions to receive oil grants deliveries.
  • UHAB send via mail final grant value and next steps to HDFC.
  • HDFC Board issues rent credits, collects bids for proposed project and mails in required documentation including rent rolls and project proposals.
  • HDFC completes energy efficient upgrades.
  • HDFC provides final documentation in the form of cancelled checks/bank documents to show that work was paid for and complete.

All applications were accepted on a first-come-first-served basis. Completed applications should be sent to:

Attn: CITGO Oil Heat Program
UHAB- Urban Homesteading Assistance Board
120 Wall St. 20th Floor
New York, NY 10005

For more information contact Marie at (212) 479-3374 or

UHAB is only able to enroll limited-equity housing cooperatives in New York City into this program. If you are outside of New York City or in New York City and live in a single-family house or privately-owned apartment rental, you will need to contact Citizens Energy directly to receive an application.